Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Looking to leave the Maggie Fold?

I usually only focus on one hobby at a time, and audiophile listening has taken a back seat for a while.

I took out some favorite LPs and DADs today, and tried them out with my venerable Maggie 3.6/Rs.

What I heard explained why I haven't been listening to much music lately. The top to bottom sound wasn't balanced. There wasn't enough bass energy to balance the brightness of the speakers. The panels didn't integrate well. The imaging was mushy. I found myself wanting to turn up the volume to get more detail, until of course certain harsh sounds forced me to turn it down.

There is a lot to love about the speakers. There is a realism to certain instruments like saxophone, that often sounds honky on dynamic speakers. There is a definite clarity to the sound, and an immersive (if mushy) soundstage.

On the best recordings, I enjoy the sound. On anything else, it is painful for long-term listening. I just don't enjoy 90% of my music collection on these speakers. Sure, vinyl isn't as harsh, but it has its own distortions that, at least with my current setup, are noticeable in some voices.

I'm thinking that I bought the wrong speaker. I was originally thinking of a B&W 805 (eventually with subwoofer), and enjoyed it's sound. Sure, it had some coloration, but it didn't make me cringe or hate most of my recordings.

I have a couple of choices. I can look at the 3.7s, and see if they fix my listening woes, or perhaps I should go back to the B&W 800 series (like the 803D) and see if I enjoy the music more.

Who has switched to a dynamic speaker without regretting it?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Looking to leave the Maggie Fold? - audioNeil 12:21:00 02/18/12 (62)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.