Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Lovin my MMG's, except.....

It's not my "recipe", it belongs to Magnepan because every speaker they made for the first 30 years had the mylar in the rear and it was a practice they defended in print religiously because in their own words "they sound best that way."

Why they changed in the 90's they never said, however my guess is because people no longer understand you can't drop maggies in any room and expect perfection, and the rear wave is the one most easily effected by bad rooms, so "todays" people are likely to hear an anomoly and blame the speaker (like you did) when the truth is the room is at fault.

You are never going to find happiness using this shotgun approach to modding, especially when you draw incorrect conclusions from the results you are given. I also don't understand why people think raising speakers improves bass, as the further any speaker gets from the floor bass almost always suffers most.

There is only 1 certainty here - your room has issues. This is a certainty because your speakers told you. Perhaps it would be prudent to slow your charge to the finish line and correct problems one at a time, completely, before moving on to the next alteration.

That being the case put them back the wrong (right) way and keep adjusting the room until the mids re-appear. It's not as if the speaker stopped making them. The difference is that way they are trying to provide them in a more ambient way thru room interaction rather than blowing them right at you, and something in the room is absorbing, deflecting or killing that missing wave spectrum. Regardless of what you eventually do, does it not make sense to isolate this issue and correct it?

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.