Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Lovin my MMG's, except.....

Hey Ricky, this is Michael (tomlinmgt) from AudioKarma....you've been helping me out with my MMG's over there. Thanks for chiming in here as well.

Yes, I understand the 1.6 aren't true ribbons...what I was saying is I'd have to go further up the chain than the 1.6 (to something with true ribbons such as 3-series, 2.5 or 6, 20.1, etc) to get a significant increase in performance over the MMG.

By framed and braced I mean what you see in the image below. I threw these together over the course of a few evenings with scrap lumber I had layin' around kind of as a prototype to address and, hopefully, correct a few issues I felt I had. One, I wanted to give them more rigidity than what the angle brackets I first used to stand them vertical could offer. Two, I had them sitting on top of the subs and I wanted to get them off as I felt there was a good chance the subs were vibrating the mylar and causing some distortion. Three, when on top of the subs they were about a foot-and-a-half off the ground and I wanted to get them a little lower. Four, Gunn says he prefers a little tiltback (the flashlight beaming in your eyes analogy) so I spiked the pillars so I could adjust in a little tiltback to see how this worked out for me. I'll set them back to vertical here in a few minutes and see if I can tell a difference. BTW, my initial statement that I have around fifteen degrees tiltback was way liberal...I went out and measured it and it's more like five to seven degrees.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.