Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Lovin my MMG's, except.....

I would not brag about the drums in my MMGs vs cones, but given that I hardly use the subwoofer they do sound pretty good. Rim shots are certainly not weak.

Perhaps we can identify a common set of music pieces we may be able to compare notes with. So, if you have a few favorites that are troubling you let me know. I may have them or a friend may.

In the meantime here are a few comparative generalities that may or may not be related:

- You raised them. I raised them but mostly to REDUCE bass (long story) 5"
- You angle them backward. I keep them straight up. I lose too much clarity at angles of more than 5 degrees. Bass integrity and snap is certainly hurt, as well.
- You muffled sound. I try to live with as little treatment as I can get away with. That said, there is a piece of absorption material that is key to a better bass "kick"...but it is relative to this room/layout.
- You use subwoofers. If I use mine at all, it adds frequency depth but takes away things...and the leading edge of bass drum beats is often one of them. Then again, the Velodyne that I have is a ported design, not good for Maggies.
- You are using a stock xover. I bi-amp...

...YET, I can revert to normal xovers and still get fairly decent drums. To be sure, the parts that I use for a regular xover are better than the stock ones. I know that the Erse coil that replaced the original one made a solid contribution during my early tweak days...

I do advocate bi-amping (at line level passive or active) but other factors should be looked at first. In your case, I suspect that there's still some opportunity for gains even before altering xovers.

BTW, flipping the MMGs around did not work for me either...among other reasons, for the same thing you observed.

As I think about it all, there is not one SINGLE thing that did the trick for me. It is a combination of things...some of which are room-specific. So, all we have to do is find out what works in your room!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Lovin my MMG's, except..... - JBen 22:41:14 02/15/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.