Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Advice from Magnepan

The reason I asked....and in exactly that manner is simple curiousity. When I flipped my panels around, just a simple rotation in place, the sound was instantly improved. The sweet spot opened up and i ultimately adjusted the toe to about 11 degrees.
I realized than that the tweeter either led or lagged the bass part of the panel by 90 degrees because of the 1st / 2nd order crossover used.
My theory was that flipped, the sound now back in-phase, since if the bass leads the mid/tweet, the distance it now is further makes the time delay about equal to the listener.
A complicated way to say it simply sounded more 'right'.

I was just curious about the lobing since that in a sense confirms my thought. As a total off-topic note, that is the way phased array radar works. They can steer the beam from a flat emitter by phasing the emission across the panel. You should be able to do the same thing with audio?

I'm glad your setup is set and stable. I owned MG-1s for over 2 decades and a rebuild at WhiteBearLake and never had the kinds of problems with setup the 1.6s gave me....until I flipped 'em.
I'll admit to being over analytical / curious but I always gotta know WHY something works when the change was so.....dramatic.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.