Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: More confusion over pre-amps and amps for Maggie 3.6s

Howdy K from a relative newcomer as well (though i've been lurking since purchasing MMG's 10yrs ago). I like your QSC amp, that's a nice one! I run a QSC GX3 amp on my 1.7's. I did 'mod' the fan to slow it down, make it quieter.

I ascribe to a non-popular view that the speakers are by far the limiting factor - will change the input signal way more than the electronics (in general!)

This comes from 'some' listening, a mind of scientific bent (in God I trust, others must bring evidence), lots of reading, and specifically, lots of reading about ab and abx testing of components. The vast majority of folks who claim they can hear differences have not level-matched ab or abx tested THEIR OWN GEAR, and refuse to do so. which is all OK if it makes them happy, the hobby is all about enjoyment anyway.

Before spending money on electronics, suggest read as many of these articles as you can stand:
http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm
Especially the ones about amps and ab / abx testing, negative feedbakc, etc. Eye-opening.

CD direct into amp is a good way to minimize signal path. CD to preamp or receiver should work fine. Note that when running through pre-amp of any sort, it's best to leave the amp gain controls at 100%, and control volume with pre-amp. Keep that signal strong. This prevents the signal being degraded by multiple sets of volume controls.

D/a converters.: much ado has been made about fancy d/a converters. Often, cd players have a form of digital out, such as optical. Then you have to use a receiver or something to turn it into an analog signal. Again, I have yet to see valid ab or abx testing showing superiority of various d/a converters.

I'm a big fan of spending the (limited) money where it makes the most impact - for me this has been speakers, then amp (with enough power), then all the other stuff.

have fun!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.