Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: If they sounded veiled

I greed!

I currently run 120 p/p tube watts(use to run 350 ss - so I have a good reference point) with very nice results in a fairly large room. They play plenty loud reaching levels over 100dB, not Bose concert hall levels but I'm pretty sure ET didn't have that in mind when designing them. Plenty of others out there for that - so look elsewhere.

Veiled is NOT a word I would ever associate with the ET8Bs. They DO need care with placement and unfortunately minor adjustments can in some cases have major affects so care with placement is a must(as is with most planars). It took me quite a while to get mine dialed in, more time than I care to divulge out of embarrassment(as my wife already thinks I'm nuts) but patience is your friend here. A helpful hint - I started with the Cardas room set up for planar speakers and tweaked from there with the help of the Stereophile test cds(I/II) and lots of listening.

Lastly, I run mine 8' apart w/o any toe-in and use the mid tweeter setting. Also a tip I picked up from a reviewer was to remove the top wood caps which help soundstage height. In reference to width, anyone that claims they have a small stage is listening to the speakers improperly set up. The only thing with no toe-in, the depth of stage can suffer a tiny bit but the gains in overall width are wall to wall filling with disappearing speakers. Oh yeah, ditch the grills!

At $2000, it really is a steal!

Edits: 01/14/12 01/14/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.