Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I Agree With Much of What You're Saying...

My use of the word "also" was intended to affirm that both can be over-driven. I do not make a habit of listening over 90dB, and I believe a large number of audiophiles also do not. Achieving a somewhat realistic reproduction of an orchestra at live levels is exceptionally difficult and would tax any smaller speaker system. Any number of sealed woofer/smaller subs would have a fair bit of distortion doing so. Imo, the levels at which you are listening would tax any speaker with 8" bass drivers, as well as one like the 1.6. So, given your preferences I agree that the LFT-8B would not suffice. But that is hardly indicative of the listening habits of many audiophiles, for whom the LFT-8B may never even approach those levels.

While a speakers price may be indicative of it's sound quality this is not an absolute relationship. It is quite possible that a $2K speaker can sound better than a $3K speaker, especially an older design. If the relationship was absolute then selecting speakers would be easy - just go for the most expensive one you can afford.

I agree that the modded 3.x may sound a fair bit better, but it entails modding; it would depend on whether the OP is up to it. Perhaps he is, and if so then it may be a great solution.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.