Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Magneplanar Bass Also Distorts At High Levels...

In my experience they also are limited and distort with high output. The bass on the 1.6QR did not fare nearly as well when pushed too hard. I consider the distortion due to the single magnet array of the 1.6QR as strong as the distortion of the bass driver of the LFT-8B; neither one handles very high levels well. Different technologies and different types of distortion when pushed too hard.

But one has to get to what imo is reaching higher listening level to do so with either speaker. The LFT-8B has no problem with 88-90 dB. That is more than enough for the majority of audiophiles. Now, if someone is trying to fully pressurize a 20x25 room and expects an 8" sealed woofer to do so they are expecting way too much, and would be expecting way too much of any passive, sealed 8" woofer. You run a 1.6QR at the same levels and you'll hear plenty of distortion as the midrange is effected as well, whereas the LFT-8B is a bipolar and has a smaller diaphram surface area; the mid is more under control as a result.

The OP did not state why the demo was at moderate listening level. I have known audiophiles who play their system well below 90 dB and never turn it up.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.