Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: The Rooze

Actually, I think your spot on.

The initial sound hits the listener's ears from the sidewall reflections. This is sort of like wearing giant headphones and as far as I can tell, it explains a couple of the advantages of the setup. One is that instead of hearing two early arrivals -- the direct sound from the speaker, followed by the bounced sound from the wall -- you hear only one. So you don't get the "double acoustic" effect you get from conventional stereo or even the parallel to the side walls configuration. The other thing that happens is the interaural time delay doesn't constrain the image to a 60 degree spread. Instead, you get the full 180 degree lateral spread that's in the recording. You can't do this with conventional stereo without using crosstalk cancellation, which in my experience anyway is troublesome and fatiguing.

Then, and this is where things differ from headphone listening, you hear next the sound bouncing from the front wall. This pulls the image forward and prevents the "in the middle of your head" headphone effect.

That's my interpretation, anyway. And I agree that it's my listening room that keeps it from working there. My MMG's are vertical, but the room doesn't seem to be symmetrical enough. The room I'm in now works fine, at least with the Monsoons -- I never tried the MMG's down here.

I think it's time to move to someplace with a good listening room!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.