Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 1.7 high frequency harshness

Yes. Where the attenuator goes.* In high RFI environments like mine, the harshness is reduced, the upper harmonics also sound sweeter and more "correct". If you were to measure/sweep the actual output of the tweeter with the choke on, you would be surprised that it actually is slightly reduced at the very top. The audible perception is, however, counterintuitive to this. Harshness is reduced, not volume.

[Some people have reported additional benefits by adding a parallel resistor (and I think it was also mentioned in this thread early on).]

*Perhaps because of bi-amping (though I also found it true when in "conventional xover mode" to a large extent) I wound up using an extra choke for each mid/bass panel (or in the case of conventional, at the speaker input.) Hard to tell with the 1.7s but if you do try the extra ones, keep the following in mind:
- The 2nd choke will work better in one terminal than the other.
- If it is working, the 2nd choke will help with improved imaging.
- YMMV but it is a simple matter of switching terminals and listening. Pay attention to the imaging changes as you do. Tone/timbre should also be slightly affected for the better.
- Remember, these are always used in series, not in parallel (don't short your amp!) This will make it tricky to add at the end of a banana plug termination...improvise (RatShack items can help).
- Instructions for bi-ampers are slightly different depending on line vs speaker level xover...call :-)).

Edits: 06/18/11 06/18/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Magnepan 1.7 high frequency harshness - JBen 15:17:12 06/18/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.