Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Picts

I'll do a full write up later this week and submit for the archives.

But the jist is that you put strips on the pole piece being careful not to block the tiny holes:

stock pole piece

Vmax Dynamat like material but with black backing

pole piece about half done

Tip use the portion that doesnt have adhesive to overlap the earlier piece

And put bigger strips around the frame on the mylar side (pict with Dynamat extreme):

dont touch the mylar with the dynamat!

See that gap at the top between the mdf and the driver?? I put rope caulk in there on the final rev. Also do be careful not to touch the mylar...the adhesive is sticky and well you dont want to hurt the mylar. And DONT put any on the bottom horizontal run. The tweeter is painted in there and so are the bass wires. If you put it there dont remove it ever as you will break the tweeters. Look at this pict. I peeled my wires back for my radical binding post mod and if you look on the left side you can see where the tweeters used to be on the frame because they leave a white line where I peeled them back:

dont put any on the bottom horizontal piece

Dawnrazor, do you feel like the material from Parts Express give better results than Dynamat or are just easier to use?

Well the dynamat extreme is heavier and thicker. Cosmetically it is not the best as you can see it through the grill. The parts express stuff is much easier to work with and is black...easier to cut too, and the part that doesnt have adhesive helps for removal and over laping:

The stuff Accurus mentions may be best of all. I havent used it though but it is thick and black and heavy...twice what I used. But my only concern is that on the pole pieces I would be concerned that too thick might have some issue with the holes. I dont know. One mine I used the thicker dynamat on the mylar side and just put strips of the parts express stuff over it for cosmetics. In that application I think the thickness is not a big deal.

HTH

D

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Picts - Dawnrazor 20:02:48 05/23/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.