Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Yeap I am the MG10 guy

Accurus,

Thanks for such a detailed report!!

I can tell you that any Magnepan even ones with wood frames can enjoy the benefits of this mod. I just tore apart my 2.7s that I was going to restore and tried this out of them and to be honest I am doubting the need to do a wood frame

That is great, and mirrors my own thinking. On my own stand project, I had planned to just leave the stock mdf frame in place because the dynamat made such a big difference. But I do have the wood because i figured that some inmates would tell me I was still missing the benefit of the wood. I wish I had heard of your comparison before I ordered it :)

I am either getting 100% or 90% of the difference for about 2% of the effort.

I am sorry, I dont understand this line. DO you mean the difference a wood frame makes- you can get 100% or 90% of that, and if so how does that relate to the "even ones with wood frames can enjoy the benefits of this mod" comment??

Asked another way, If one has wood frames already, will adding dynamat or similar improve the sound?? You seem to say that it will.

Anyhow, I did this tweak because believe it or not doing a frame in wood is going to be a huge endeavor for me, but adding strips to the magnets and frame, I CAN do that.

My theory is that if the pole piece vibration is being reduced, which on my speakers it is, than the mylar is even more controlled so that when the mylar moves it is only the mylar that moves. I can only imagine the type of distortion introduced when the ripple effect of the magnet moving is introduced.

I totally agree on this and it just makes sense that if the magnets are vibrating, this will throw off the mylar. I think PG was dead on in this that the mdf helps send the vibes back to the driver, and that controlling those vibes can have dramatic effects on the sound.

I have never heard a Magnepan sound so crystal clear it reminds me of the clarity of a cone speaker when you get up close. My wife who is no audio nut listened and said that the difference was dramatic. This only confirmed what I was hearing.

YES!! This mod throw my audio world upside down. See I was saying that the maggies were real sounding because they werent crystal clear...one never gets that in a live performance...but I think I was pretty wrong on that. The crystal clarity helps things sound live! Removing the distortions I can see that now. And if it makes the wife happy that is a good thing!

In regards to real frequency response changes I can say that this mod did some great stuff to my MG10s. It actually extended their usable frequency response from about 75hz down to 60hz in my room with a nice gentle roll off from there. That is a 15hz gain. Additionally I had a -5db null at around 160hz to 180hz that this mod removed. I had this in both my apartment and my new house. I assumed it was just the speakers. My theory is that the resonating of the magnet was producing null waves at various frequencies and this happened to be one of them. Now that it is not moving it can't great canceling waves.

Wow, I never saw that happening. Though it makes sense in that if the magnet vibration is reduced then the mylar's movements will be more precise and accurate.

I can't say enough things about this mod in terms of cost to performance it can't be beat and it fixes what I think is a fundamental issue with all Magnepans which is properly dampening the magnet structure which vibrates far too much and must introduce some amount of distortion into the speakers.

Totally agree, and thanks again to those you have tried it. If you can take off the socks, anyone can do this tweak and it is pretty cheap and super easy. And thanks Accurus, your dampliner might just be the best thing to use. It is black and thicker than the one I linked and it is more affordable I think. Thanks for showing us that.

With some easy work one can transform this speaker!

And, one of my biggest regrets is not getting the 10. Given where my system ended up...with 2 killer subs, I would have loved to have one of those. I also missed out on getting a 2.6 years ago...but the mmgs with this mod and my soon to be active setup will be something I can be happy with.

D

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.