Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Amazing looking. Question about crossover.

That was the problem that made it take a while to do these. We had to figure out a way of making it possible to utilize that design.

The answer was a bit of a compromise, but is essentially the same as all the others.

All of them take the 2 inputs and turn them into 3 outs, one of which is shared. The 2.7 (which I tried first) uses the regular midbass wire, the old tweeter wire AND the QR wire for it's 3 drivers, so we simply joined the two tweeter wires together, in essence making a super tweeter and in the process reducing it to two "drivers". We then recalculated their resistance and built the XO like any other. The result was phenomenal.

The 3.6 would not accept this solution no matter how we tried to bend it to our will, so we had to introduce the compromise. (and it took a few weeks of brainstorming to come up with it)

The midbass wire and "mid" wire (again, a tweeter wire on any other maggie) are treated like the 2 voice coils on a standard model, with this mid wire now doing tweeter duty. However this new tweeter wire also shares a pole with the ribbon.

So the midbass and "tweeter" are wired like any other but the tweeter also shares it's negative with the ribbon, so it's kind of like a two and a half way. So all 3 are hooked together, with the driver tweeter kind of holding each ones hand. (both it's leads are shared, one with the midbass, one with the ribbon)

It's both simpler and more complex than it sounds :^ ) However it is still the same design and has all the attributes the others have, plus it includes a cap to negate RFI on the ribbon.

Now that I am sure the owner is happy, anyone interested in DIY can email me for the schematic. Note however that this is far more complex than the regular mod is and is not for the feint of heart. You need to turn the driver, rewire 3 different parts together correctly and build a more complex XO. But if anyone feels up to it, email me.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.