Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What Grant said.....

Relying on aging memory here, because I'd have to pull Maggie's skirt up to see what I put in there (I actually shoehorned all that shit into that little cutout space). The mid/bass panels were Solen 50mfd caps (the ones Ed Morawski used), bypassed by 600(?) volt Jensen aluminum foil in oil...pretty sure that one was 0.5mfd. I left the stock tweeter cap in there, since it was a matching Solen (only 33mfd, of course) and bypassed that one with a 0.1mfd Jensen copper foil in oil cap. Don't remember the voltage. Considerably more than necessary, I'm sure. The inductor was the one Ed Morawski recommended in his article. I actually managed to get it inside the cutout, right under where the plate for the speaker terminals screw on in the back. Didn't quite leave me enough room to screw that plate back on, so I've got the Cardas speaker posts just hanging off the back. Looks odd, but works fine. I wish I'd gone ahead and replaced all the chintzy stock aluminum 14 gauge wire inside while I was at it, but that would've necessitated carefully prying the trim wood off to totally remove the cloth, and I wasn't wanting to do that. Now I wish I had. Someday I will, because I need to replace that cloth anyway.
Anyone who says bypass caps don't do anything...I listened first with just the Solens, THEN I put in the Jensens. Made a very worthwhile difference...took that whitish, grainy edge right off the sound, really smoothed things out without in any way rolling off the treble.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What Grant said..... - Marc Bratton 10:06:05 12/05/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.