Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Front wall room treatment for dipoles, Maggies, others

You already know some of my thoughts on this, Bryan, but I'll reiterate what has been the subject of a private discussion about actual experience rather than theory.

I've found center-of-front-wall diffusion to be more effective than diffusion directly behind my 1.6QR's (at whatever distance). With respect to perpendicular-to-panel-plane placement, that's what ASC recommended when I inquired regarding Studio Trap positioning, but soundstage presentation didn't sound natural with the trap diffusor sections oriented that way; I got much better results with diffusors oriented as diagrammed at jimtranr.com/ListeningRoom.html, including sidewall diffusion pointed directly at the rear of the room rather than facing out into it, whether perpendicular to the radiating plane or at any angle other than straight toward room rear.

I don't cite any of this as prescriptive, but rather as descriptive of my own listening situation in a 26'3"x14'3"x7'8" rectangular room with the panels positioned in a Cardas dipole configuration and facing the long dimension. As you've probably concluded, it doesn't correspond with the theory propounded by manufacturers you've consulted and suggests that you may want to experiment a bit more, given the particular acoustic characteristics of your listening space.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.