Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Front wall room treatment for dipoles, Maggies, others

One of the things that is inherent to dipole speakers (the LFT-VIIIs from about 100hz up) is that they radiate mostly front and back and the sound is largely cancelled to the sides. I've seen diagrams of dipole radiation patterns that show lobes going directly forward and aft from the panel 90 degrees to the panel face. So that's where your main back-radiation will be.

There will be a significant amount of sound to about 45 degrees off-axis, but it will diminish rapidly from there.

Bass is a different thing with the LFT-VIIIs and it will be close to omni-directional due to the small size of the bass driver and cabinet. There you want to treat the room modes (especially the corner modes with bass absorbers like tube traps. This should be true from about 200hz on down.

Note that there is significant overlap in the two radiation patterns due to the slow-rolloff (6-db/octave, 1st order) crossovers.

Greg in Mississippi
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Front wall room treatment for dipoles, Maggies, others - GStew 10:03:36 11/26/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.