Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I use these DIY Jon Risch-designed "Room Lens" copies ...

Andy, I don't believe those room lenses are diffusers. I know they are technically HelmHoltz resonators, but I don't know if they diffuse or not. I had the Argent version years ago when I had different, direct radiator speakers. I would have liked to try them now with my planar speakers.

Diffusers are supposed to increase soundstage depth like you experienced with your DIY resonators so that is one thing they seem to have in common. The resonators do sound like a really interesting option for the front wall reflection point.

Your room looks like a great space for adding bass traps. The front wall corners are naked and just begging for some bass traps! Bass trapping could provide you with a lot of benefit that the resonators do not. Better frequency response in the bass and mids giving you a lot more detail. If you are interested in exploring this, I recommend measuring the bass build up in your room using a filtered LF pink noise tone and an SPL meter or even your ears. Knowing there is bass build up, and where it is, is a good start. If you are getting bass build up you can DIY some tubes or chunks, or just buy some of the affordable corner bass traps like the GIK Tri Traps.

You can burn the MP3 file on this page.
http://www.realtraps.com/lf-noise.htm

And play it back on repeat and use an SPL meter and measure the db's in the corners of the room from the floor to the ceiling and along the ceilings and wall boundaries (use a ladder) as well. You should notice higher levels in these places which indicates there is bass build up. You can also measure at your listening position to confirm it is not in a place where there is bass buildup. If you don't have an SPL meter but have an iPhone or Touch (with a mic) there are a couple of SPL apps that will give you relative measurements which is all you need for this test. If you don't have any devices for measuring you can use your ears. You will hear the bass build up (e.g. in corners) sound like rumbling. You will hear the jet engine like pink noise from the test tone all over the room, but in places where there is bass build up you will also hear the rumbling. That is my experience.

Bryan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.