Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan at CES where?

This all sounds exciting. I've actually read all 123 posts in this thread (at this writing) and would hope that for Magnepan's sake and our's, that this new speaker is everything those who heard it say it is.

Sound quality in rooms at HiFi shows is generally not optimum. Those manufacturers with better rooms or products that take advantage of the room limitations often shine when compared to other rooms that sound so dismal.

I've never been to the CES, but I've been to the bi annual hifi show in New York on a few occassions and after hours of hearing great and not so great systems my own ability to resolve nuamces is impacted.

While I am not disputing the opinions of anyone who heard these speakers first hand, I do offer the following thoughts for consideration:

1. As Maggies fans we are always looking for a new and excitig ways to make our Maggies more life like and are therefore somewhat predisposed to be excited about a new Magnepan offering, espcially a tiny one that sounds good

2. As we all know, room and speaker interaction is critical to great Maggie sound. (Near field listening aside). It may be true of these mini Maggies as well. Given the positioning of these speakers in this spacious room, I wonder whether they would be as exciting in a smallish room.

3. These speakers were using powerful, and I believe very expensive, Bryston monoblocks and preamp. I'm not sure which CD player was used. How much of the resulting sound can ne attributed to the electronics?

4. As some have mentioned, this was a controlled demo. Ir would have been more telling if listeners could have played recordings they were more familiar with.

5. I wonder how a stock pair of 1.6's or 3.6's would have sounded set up in that same room, with the same amplification, and with a curtain in front of them. Don't discount the theatrical nature of the event.

I do not doubt what others heard, but it is my conservative nature which suggests that we refrain from getting too excited about this prototype product just yet. Some here would plunk dowm significant hard cash, sight unseen, for this new system. Some have called it a 20.1 beater, or a 1.6 beater based on a limited demo and their aural memories of their own system in a different room with different electronics.

When this product comes to market and can be evaluated and compared to other Maggies in an uncontolled environment, and still comes up on top, then I'll start to get excited. Until then I hope calmer heads prevail.

Maggies, because you can never be too thin!

Mark

Edits: 01/15/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.