Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Two subs make a huge difference relative to one

Sorry for the confusion. I thought the set-up was based on one sub with two sats. In your initial write-up, you were actually very specific about that:

"So, you WILL NEED to get one "woofer" for every 2 baby maggies you get (there are 2 woofers inside each $500 woofer cabinet). Your amp connects to the woofer bin and the woofer bin then goes through a xover and eventually connects to the sats (so the sats get the bass filtered out). Anyhow, the bass sounded GREAT! No boom, no smear, and extremely well integrated with the sats."

My position is that this set-up (one sub and two sats) cannot possibly work. If you have dual subs (one per channel), then the situation is completely different as each channel is now capable of handling the full frequency spectrum. You can then fine tune the sub-sat position per channel, and get really good integration with no soundstage collapse or sub localization.

Therefore, two subs and two sats sounds very promising indeed, and I am glad that they used that set-up for the show demo. One sub with two sats would most likely provide for poor sound with a lot of music.

The bigger question is how Magnepan would market a system like this. If you wanted an HT set-up based on this approach, then you would need another sub-sat combo for the center channel. With six separate physical enclosures arranged around the display, the room would get busy with speakers and cables. Not exactly the simple solution that most people are looking for. And Magnepan must go to market with their HT hat on because that's where the money is.

When can Magnepan bring these speakers to market? There was talk about this summer; however, Magnepan's track record in situations like these has been lackluster. Consider the Maggie sub. How long has Magnepan been toying with the concept and showing pictures and prototypes at shows? What happened to CCR, the long awaited center channel with true ribbon driver? Perhaps, given the overwhelmingly positive response from the CES 2009 show, Magnepan may decide to go to market very quickly, and release (finally!) the sub with Mini Maggies this summer. If so, I suspect the price for two subs and two sats would be at least $2k.

If Mini Maggie ever sees the light of day, there will also be an opportunity for Mye Sound to design new stands that can accommodate the sub-sat combination.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.