Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Some Thoughts

First, I think it's rather funny that their biggest breakthru (at least supposedly) in 40 years was a complete accident.

My own work showed me that size is not a deterring factor in the kind of performance you can get out of these speakers and I had to fight many wars on here getting that point across. I suppose if this is what these things are and they do become popular, it will finally put the last nail in that coffin.

I bought a pair of MG-I's once that I even got to hear before buying, and which sounded good, and I got them home to find only 6" of wire still attached in the middle. So I too heard and liked a 6" by 12" maggie on 2 foot stands :^ )

Thoreau said to simplify and I agree, especially where maggies are concerned. It is interesting after 40 years of making things bigger and bigger that magnepan itself finally had this eye opener. Now if someone could just get them to try something besides rat shack wire....

All that said, if I were a 1.6 or 3 series owner I would not be rushing to get my audiogon ad ready just yet.... As I said, small maggies are capable of sounding much better than many people believed, however that sound is not the same kind of sound one gets from the bigger ones.

I love modded MMG's and could be very happy with them. However I prefer modded 1.6's and I prefer still the 2.7's. No matter how nice these new things sound there is no way they do what those modded 2.7's did. If it turns out a modded 3 does the same thing... enough said.

I think what these new ones excell at is they are playing and behaving like a single full range Fostex or Lowther speaker, and that is a very, VERY musical ride, and yes, compared to a stock 1.6 I would take the new one too.

However once the smoke clears, enthusiasm fades and reality kicks in these will be relegated to those who have space issues I believe. In any event it's clear they must have the maggie sub modules with them to perform properly, so even if they price these things at $1,500 a pair, once you add the subs in it's not going to be a bargain like the MMG. It will probably be closer to a 3.6, and if the 3.6 can be made magical it eliminates this new one except for those with space issues.

What's really funny is I was going to try to do this very thing. I was going to take the busted and broken MG-I's I got and try to make small "computer maggies" out of them, only I never had the time.

As always I wish magnepan the best of luck. They need it to survive in this world, and we need them. I'm looking forward to seeing these things, and I can hardly wait for the messed up model number they assign them.

The MGS 6.7/8ths

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.