Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Yes, I think that concept's full of holes ... :-))

Hi lne937s,

Tried to PM you but it bounced ... have you specified your email address correctly on MUG?

Thanks for your input re. good materials for Maggie frames. I wanted to follow through on a couple of ideas from your second post ...

Firstly MDF vs. what I called "particle board". What I meant by the latter was the sheet flooring which builders use ... which seems to me to be strong and of similar rigidity to MDF? From a theoretical point of view, it seemed to me that the chips of "real" wood in this material should act to damp vibrations better than the wood fibres (or sawdust?) in MDF?

However it doesn't finish well compared to MDF - which I suggest is the main reason why it's not used for speaker cabinets.

I believe you can get stuff called "HDF" - which is more dense ... this means it is heavier than MDF but would it be stiffer? If so, then this sounds like it should also be a better material than MDF?

I'm guess I'm confused here between what seem to me to be two different concepts:
* making something thick/heavy/stiff so that it becomes less able to be vibrationally excited in the first place, and
* making something "internally gooey" so that it can absorb any vibration you apply to it! :-))

Also, as I understand it, a CLD construction is implemented for shelves to attenuate vibrations applied to, say, the underside of the the shelf from travelling through the shelf to excite a component resting on the top surface. IE. CLD is good for minimising the transmission of vibrations through the thickness of a shelf.

However, with Maggie frames - particularly for 3-way Maggies - what we want is to minimise the *sideways* transmission of vibrations ... not the front-to-back transmission!

For instance, if you tap the top a CLD shelf, the vibration will be
attenuated by the time it gets to the bottom surface. However, if you
tapped one *end* of a CLD shelf, would you be able to feel the vibrations at the other end of the shelf?

IE. does the vibration attenuation caused by CLD construction work parallel with the layers as much as it does across the layers?

By all means respond directly to my email address:
redwood dot andrew at gmail dot com,
rather than using a MUG PM.

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Yes, I think that concept's full of holes ... :-)) - andyr 02:19:11 05/09/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.