Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Anyone knows which Krell amp Alastair Robertson-Aikman used to drive his stacked Quad 63? (NT)

Hi Kentaja.

I believe you, but I think you are missing the point or maybe I should phrase it like this, you are missing Robertson Aikmans point.

His listening room was/is huge in the extreme and his priority was to recreate the feeling of listening to opera’s in being performed in his room.

We both know the difference between the, we are there, and they are here, philosophy. RA undoubtedly must have advocated for the later, using his listening room as a small concert hall.
His listening habits allowed him to optimize his stereo towards the type of music (opera) which he loved the most.

In the 1950’s Wharfedale and AR showed to audiences that if an orchestra or string quartet was recorded in an anechoic chamber and reproduced in a proper concert hall using their speakers (not even stereo was a necessity) then the illusion of listing to a true orchestra/string quartet was overwhelming, for most of the audience.
I see RA system as a way of making the same happen in a slightly smaller room than a true concert hall.
I think his system gave a very believable reproduction rather than a very accurate reproduction.

My best weekend greetings from Denmark.

KlausDK

Ps: The latest upgrade I have heard about in RA listening room, was the installation of a 270 kg mammoth wide band sound absorber behind the 2 pairs of Quad 63’s.
He was truly a man without compromise; I would have loved to hear this system in full

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.