Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: 3.3/Rs using 3.5 external Xover

I did look at the article. I would need a good staple gun and I believe that he only repaired the edges. My delamination if that's what it is is in the middle not edges, plus if the glue ages then I figure spot repairs won't help much if the other areas start to go. Magnepan will strip and rewire the whole thing. I am not sure of the condition of the ribbons either. And I think for less than what I paid for my 1.6s I will have much better speakers overall (but I'm not sure whether the bass is as good on the 3.3s. I don't hear a big difference between the 1.6 and 3.3 as far as the sound seeming to come from one driver. The 3.3s seem more dynamic also.
Magnepan did say that they would not put different crossover components in if I supplied them but that they would not touch them if they were already upgraded and I asked them to leave as is.
But I can say that these do require significantly more power than the 1.6s as now my amp (300W into 4 Ohms) runs very hot when turned up a little loud.

Then I have to decide whether I want to use the IIbs or 1.6s for rears. I like the II bs kind of better than the 1.6s although they don't go as loud I think (they need repair too). The II B s make much better rear speakers than MMGs.

This seems to have turned in to a bit of a review.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.