Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: I loved my old Crown SL-2 (Straightline) preamp.

"but I question the desirability of DSP in an amplifier."

It really does not matter, as it is all down to implementation and the intended use. The presence of DSP (xover, EQ etc) in the amplifier makes it very versatile at a reasonable cost. And potentially capable of providing excellent results if well configured.

"When I shopped for a bargain pre/pro, one primary criterion was that it be endowed with a 6 channel throughput that *stayed* analog - that's less common that you'd think. Once the signal leaves my SACD player, I want as little done to it as possible. "

It is a case of horses for courses, having owned (and still own) a couple of the SACD players over the years, some of them very respectable, I will say that some of the best sound that has come out of my system has been when the SACD analog signal has been *DSPed*, I find room and/or speaker induced tonal uneveness etc much more onerous to me than any supposed DSP artefacts. Applying DSP, makes the rig sound more musically pleasing.

Music making the painting, recording it the photograph

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I loved my old Crown SL-2 (Straightline) preamp. - theaudiohobby 19:42:42 04/20/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.