Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: mid-fi amps and Sam Adams

I have no illusions about the place an Acurus amplifier holds in the world of audio - it *is* mid-fi. Compare it directly to a Pass and you'll want to pass on the Acurus...until the sticker shock brings you to your senses (unless your pockets are substantially deeper than mine). On the other hand, Mondial's no-nonsense approach and simple circuit design permitted them to populate their modestly priced amp with quality components from end to end. I'm sure there are other companies that do the same thing - there *are* choices for those of us trying to stay within a tight budget.

I've never listened to a pro amp, so I cannot make *any* comments about how one might sound, but I think I'm correct in assuming that fidelity takes a back seat to efficiency in their design. I think this is the point PG was making with his statement about tinnitus. Hey, I've been wrong before and I could be wrong here. I did audition a class H amp in the late '70s made by Soundcraftsman - the Adcom GFA-555 which PG criticizes sounded far better (and yeah, that’s what I .bought).

On a lighter note, I lived in Germany for a few years in the early '80s. Before living there I hated beer. German bier opened my eyes (or taste buds) to the reality which beers such as Budweiser or Heineken had been hiding from me - beer can actually have flavor. Sam Adams is the only American mass-brew I know which can compete with German bier, but beware - it is rich with flavor. Anyone who likes Miller Light will probably find a Sam Adams tough to swallow. If you're ready to actually *taste* something, then by all means start sampling the various flavors of Sam Adams - there are many!

While we’re making some jokes, here’s one I’ll try to type delicately about American beer:

How is American beer like sex in a canoe?

Their both f*#%ing close to water.

"Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny" FZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.