Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I just want to be clear

First of all, I have NO problem with anyone who buys something because it's all they can afford right now. ALL of us (well, most of us) had to start someplace we'd rather not have. (and most of us still are not where we might wish to be) I had an Adcom GFA-555 first and guess what, it's a piece of crap! :^ ) At the time I didn't think so, but I at least knew enough not to run around telling everyone it was as good or better than what they own like some behringer owners do.

My problem is with those people who have been shilling it around here that the behringer is as good or better than what most audiophiles own. This discussion has been happening almost every month for some time now, and that's what I'm tired of. My point is simply it is not, and MUCH better alternatives can be had for hardly much more, and that by buying one you would actually be wasting your money.

Second, it sounds to me like you are suffering from an affliction many budding audiophiles have. You think you are in some big stakes room here, and you don't have the chips or the experience to feel you can sit at the table. If you go back and re-read my post I never told you or anyone you have to spend thousands to be happy, so it must be that feeling that produced comments like I "thrift shopped" you or that you need to tell your wife you're spending 3 grand. I never implied you or anyone had to "play the game or get out" and I didn't mention any figure, (let alone one that big) nor would I need to. You can add a CJ Sonographe SA250 or MF-200 to your list of amps that can be had used for hardly more than that behringer and would kill it. I'm as cheap and thrifty as anyone and if you go thru my old posts you'll see I always refer good cheap gear to people and rarely mention $$ stuff.

I thought I made it clear that what we are after is better sound and I did not imply it came with a price tag. I only said you do get what you pay for, generally, which is true.

So to clarify things for you, you don't need to feel bad, and you don't need to spend a fortune. What is not generally understood by a lot of newcommers is that price does not mean good (a LOT of high end stuff simply doesn't live up to the hype) and there are a lot of "home" enterprises (signal cable, mapletree, bottlehead etc...) who make things of very affordable price that often humble higher priced gear. Second, there is a great divide between mass market audio and those striving for true audiophile quality, and price is not an issue. You could spend a fortune on some giant Dennon umpteen (yes, umpteen isn't a word either, work with me...) channel home theater receiver which will sound like complete sh!t while a used Eastern Electric M520 integrated tube amp would kill it for roughly the same price. They are not even comparable.

I hope I made myself clear, and I hope you spend your $$ wisely, and happily. That was my only hope.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.