Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Attenuating tweeters...

Have had the MMGs for about 6 months - bypassed the tweeter attenuator after a week or so, and spent mucho time playing with positioning, which is equal parts fun and frustrating. Have posted a few times asking for crossover upgrading advice, as that seemed like a natural and relatively inexpensive tweak.

However, have also been finding that cds - specifically older cds - ie those that were originally released on vinyl - have been sounding a wee bit strident, and often fatiguing to listen to. So, one eveing when the spouse was out, I decided to try the Magnepan supplied resistors across the tweeter.

WOW! Sounded bloody fantastic - cleaned up everything, improved the bass, brought the midrange into focus, seemed to improve the "airiness " of the treble. I spent at least 2 hours swapping the resistor in and out with both vinyl and cd for testing, and finally decided to try it out for a couple of weeks.

2 weeks later, it still sounds great. I also think that I have found the right position for them, 'cos whatever music I play, sounds just right.

Anyhow, I am posting this as I don't believe I have encountered anyone else on this forum who has either tried or recommended adding the resistor across the tweeter. I was very dismissive of doing so - until I tried it - as it seemed counter-intuitive to providing Maggie magic. But - in my room, with my system - it has been brilliant.

Thoughts/comments?

Cheers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Attenuating tweeters... - dazpix 05:03:01 04/19/07 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.