Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Hissing from Quad 63s - reason?

I can only speculate as to the exact reasons why. The nature of the stator design itself, wide variation on the carbon coating, extremely low surface resistance for a full range stat(the mostely likely cause IMO). Every potential solution to a given problem creates a new and different problem.

If one could nail down the exact cause, and the exact solution, I am sure Quad would like to know as well. To quote Ross Walker "But of course it was such a mystery....nobody every understood - I don't think we quite know to this day why the plates 'tick', do we?(Laughs)." May 2003

"....was the most diabolical bit of product engineering you've ever come across. The failure rates?(Laughs.) Depended on whether is was a Monday or a Wednesday and it was wet and all the rest of it - a complete nightmare." Ross Walker - May 2003

"I don't think we made a penny on the '63. Optimistically, when we were doing '63s, we had between 10 and 12 man-hours of labour in the bloody thing......" "If every one had only 10 man-hours of labour in it, it would have been fine. But it was our fault that they were rebuilt twice before they even got out of the bloody factory." Ross Walker - May 2003

What is the rebuild Ross is referring too? The panels. The electronics would have been a piece of cake for a company like Quad. If was the inability to consistently build the panels.

I would love to know what the actual panel drop rate is on the production floor. One day the process works; you do it the same way the next day and the panels don't work. They make noise, excessive charge migration, varying sensitivity.

I doubt things have changed much with the Chinese produced speakers. The panels are built today exactly like they were 20 years ago. There is absolutely no change whatsoever to the panel itself. With cheaper labor and higher retail prices, Quad can make some money on them, something they never were able to do when the Walker's owned the company. The panels are difficult in the extreme to produce.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Hissing from Quad 63s - reason? - kentaja@yahoo.com 14:07:40 04/18/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.