Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Hissing from Quad 63s - reason?

I would consider this normal behaviour for the ESL63. It does vary considerably depending on the particular speaker, but get the humidity high enough and they will all make some hissing noise.

Sometimes the noise is low enough that unless you have your head against the speaker you will not hear the noise. Other times it will be noisy from across the room. Again, unit-to-unit variations.

High humidity and stats are not a good combination. Some stats do better than others. The ESL63 would not be one of the better candidates IMO for high humidity environments.

Late versions ESL63 Monitor and the newer 98/05 series of speakers do have some enhancements in the power supply to keep excess leakage under control in high humidity environments. But again, beyond a certain point, even this will not help.

60% RH is very high and most people would find this level uncomfortable. I would be one. When I test ESL63 in my humidity chamber it is very uncomfortable. Test levels are generally 60-70% RH. I feel like I am just dripping!

60% RH maximum levels is just an average. It is the point where I hear some, but not all ESL63 start to make noise.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.