Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

TAD-1000 Monoblock tube amps - quasi review

I had a customer over this weekend for an audition and he brought along his Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocks as he wanted to be sure they could drive my modded maggies to his satisfaction.

I was glad he did as I had heard good things about these amps but never had the chance to hear them. They are a basic no frills design but attractive looking none the less, and they certainly had heft. They are quite long but luckily the pair of them managed to just fit on the wooden amp stand I use for my Pass X250. They did get even more attractive turned on and since I have not had that kind of "massed" tubed amp power in here before the literal forest of glowing lights was quite a sight. (but it must be hell in the summer) Still, with them on the whole rack was a gorgeous thing to behold.

First, I'd like to quantify the Pass for those unfamiliar with it. It's just pure, clean power, with a "hint" a tubiness. This lack of character means my Hovland preamp is what controls the venue, for all the good and bad that implies. Few things do mids or highs better, but while the bass is "correct" it is lacking in emphasis which gives the preamp a slight tilt towards the upper end. (having the swarm sub system in really allieviated that and balanced the whole thing out well however)

With the TAD-1000's in, the highs and mids were not quite so lucid, but everything had more body, especially the lower end. In many respects it was the atypical trade off we endure to complete the line "you can't have everything". (although as I said, with the swarms in I think I might have had everything, but I didn't have them long enough to be sure) However, these monoblocks were damn nice, musical, easy on the ears and they definitely pulled you into the music. On top of that he said paid somewhere around $1,500 for THE PAIR used. Wow, I could hardly believe that. Even their "new" price (just under 3 grand) is one of the best buys in audio.

They also had no problems driving the maggies, although I found I had to turn the gain on the Hovland to around 3 oclock to get what I normally do with the Pass at about 11. But they never ran out of gas and it was a genuinely enjoyable sound. I love my X250, but if I had to live with these I could and would do so with much happiness. (again however, perhaps not in the summer)

If you're looking for an amp along these lines I can't recommend these bad boys enough. I was very impressed. He brought them cageless as he claimed they sound much better when played with them off. You can get more info on them here.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - TAD-1000 Monoblock tube amps - quasi review - Peter Gunn 11:48:42 04/16/07 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.