Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: limited high frequency vertical dispersion

That is true, and it is something of an asset. The stated tradeoff *can* be a problem. The MMG's factory stands angle the speaker in an effort to relieve them of that 'short'coming. Whereas it is true that those stands are suboptimal (okay, that's an understatement), they can be replaced quite easily - there are aftermarket options as well as DIY.

My own two cents worth is that I think you made the right decision - get both if you can. The MMGs are turn-key and the IIIAs can be a project. Of course, with a few modifications the MMGs can be spun into audio gold (but you can start enjoying them right away). That, I think, is their ultimate beauty.

In other words, if you just want a project you can stop with the purchase of the MMGs - upgrading mine has been a very enjoyable and rewarding project (I'm sure I'll find many consenting voices here). Adding the supplementation of a high quality 'sub'woofer closes the gap between the two models considerably (on the bottom end). I haven't figured out what's lacking in the quasi-ribbon tweeter - sounds damn good to me.

"Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny" FZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: limited high frequency vertical dispersion - wazoo 10:54:21 05/12/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.