Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: MGIIIA vs MMG

Go for it. You won't regret it and they're a steal at that price! Decent IIIA's normally go for $700-$850. IMO, the IIIA's are one of the best buys in all of audio. They're not hard to fix. If you're careful removing the staples, you can wash the sox and reinstall them or replace with new from Magnepan. Gluing is not hard--following Peter Gunn's famous regluing instructions. I did mine and they're still working fine several years later now.

Hard to say on the ribbons. If you like your music loud, they will wear out faster, if not, they could last a long time. Remember to always install the ribbon guards when moving them as they are fragile. Either way, they're like $100 apiece to replace from Magnepan. All they ask is that you send the old ones back for remanufacture in the same tubes they send you the new ones in. Two solder connections per ribbon and some screws and you're done. Piece of cake.

There are passive crossover part upgrades, biamping, triamping, stands, mid/bass panel reversal and fuse bypass upgrades all available too if you get the urge. All provide great improvement in the sound at minimal cost. The IIIA is a tweaker's wet-dream--sound great out of the box and better with each upgrade.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: MGIIIA vs MMG - stevenk 02:10:39 05/10/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.