Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I'm a sand guy

It is interesting, that I did exactly what you said, I poured the sand in, sealed it and forgot it.

I wouldn't do a crossover project without it, and it helped every component I have sound better, even my amp. I set that thing on a sand box and damn if it didn't make it sound better (warmer) in the midrange. What is impressive to me is that I had already put dynamat all over the amp- anywhere I could.

Hell, I even FILLED my DAC with the stuff, and it sounded awesome. (I wouldn't recommend ANYONE doing this though, you can e-mail me for the whole story if you like)

There are some things to note though. PG hates the stuff but I don't think it is clear if he was hearing the effects of the sand or the effects of the mod that wasn't burned in yet. Crossovers can get beter and worse many times as they burn in...

Maybe it is a wood thing? Everyone that loves it seems to have PLASITIC containers. At least I do, and so does scruffy. Do a search, he loved what it did to his 1.6s.

Al tried it in the sand bag form, and seemed to like it.

Anyhow, it works for me, and it is reversable with some effort.

Besides, who wants another consensus???:)

Theoretically, it might be best to line crossover boxes with different approaches like dynamat, lead shot sand, etc, as each works at different frequencies. Using multiple materials may be best.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I'm a sand guy - Dawnrazor 14:38:12 04/21/07 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.