Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Quad 57 - Question on damping material

I am an English audiophile living in the USA. The original Quads built in England were optitmised for English stone or brick homes with smaller room sizes and solid floors and walls. Burlap to control the "backwave" makes sense! I recently aquired a reasonable pair of original spec 57's that went in my suspended floor/dry wall American house. They sounded magical of course. When changing to the PK 57's without burlap behind the bass units, I noticed these changes:
The PK's MUST be moved into the room more, as the bass is more dipole in nature. Also they must be in from the side walls unlike the originals that don't seem to mind side wall proximity. I use both speakers on their original legs and achieve substantial bass from both. The new PK's, in there middle of the room stance, are a touch more open on the top than the originals, the headroom however is SUBSTIALLY greater. They will play louder with no compression or strain. In fact they have greater dynamics than the 989's, I also owned!!
My friend Gary Krakow, owns the best pair of originals I have ever heard, and I could easily live with either pair, his or mine! We both agree on the slight increase in "air", and the bandwidth comparisons. But the sonic nature of both pairs is identical!!
Quad 57's the greatest loudspeaker ever made, only limited by what's in front of it!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Quad 57 - Question on damping material - robyatt 04:04:30 04/20/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.