Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Whoomp and middle-C

Well I must be honest. I have recently returned to listening to the ESL on their stock feet. Since I have several sets, I decided to try them on their feet again.

I must say I am somewhat surprised at their performance on their stock feet. It has been many years since I have listened to them this way. I find them more satisfying this way than I remember.

I still find the vertical image height greatly reduced versus raised in the air. This is especially bothersome when listening to modern, close-mic vocals. The vocals just sound like they are coming from the floor. For instrumental only type music I find the vertical image height problems more tolerable.

What I find most interesting is the difference in bass performance. And I have to say the bass is substantially better when off the floor. Maybe a tad less extended, only slightly IMO, but much fuller, controlled with far more power/punch than on the floor. If anything maybe too much power and punch!

The constant hunting for the sweet spot while listening kind of drives me nuts, but if I just keep my butt still this is also less of a problem. I also find that they sound less loud on the floor versus in the air. The volume control is set higher to give me the same perceived loudness.

All-in-all I do like them on the stock feet, more so than I remember. I still think they are substantially improved, overall, when well off the floor. Image height, image size, soundstage size, etc., sounds better to me. But the things are so ugly on any stand I have ever had/seen versus the stock configuration.

For now, my main listening pair will be on the stock feet.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.