Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Help!!!

Just checking the tweeters with a meter will not necessarily identify the problem because there is a inductor in parallel with the tweeter and a capacitor in series. If you put a meter across the mid-treble input you will just measure the resistance of the mid driver + mid-driver series inductor, independent of the condition of the tweeter. If you put a meter across the "speaker side" of the treble fuse and the + terminal of the mid-tweeter inuput, then the reading will be approximately that of the inductor (~0.3 ohm) regardless of the condition of the tweeter.
Did you check the resistance of the old tweeters once they were removed (~2.2 ohms)? If the fuses check out ok on the meter (visual inspection can be misleading), then I would think about colder solder joints at the fuse holder. Another possiblility is a defective (open) resistor (the one in series with the speaker) although both possibilities are unlikely to have occurred in both speakers. If the series capacitors were defective they probably would be shorting and you would most likely get a signal through the drivers. Similarily if the shunt inductors were bad (open), then again you would get a signal in the ribbons.
My suggestion would be to unsolder one end of the tweeter and check the resistance across the tweeter, if it is ~2.2 ohms (and not infinity) then the problem lies elsewhere.

I may be an egoist but at least I don't talk about other people.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Help!!! - neolith 15:31:09 04/13/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.