Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I expect they would.

The specs for your Musical Fidelity A5 show the power output does not double going from 8-ohm to 4-ohm load impedance. This is not a direct measure of the amp's ability to control Maggies, but it does suggest some compromise within the power supply which would make the amp less than ideal for Maggies.

ZERO autotransformers will reduce the output voltages as seen by the speakers and increase the load impedances as seen by the amp. If you can give up some peak volume capability, your amp will have less demand on its power supply at any given level, and exert better control over the speakers.

I had an InnerSound ESL-300 as a bass amp, and replace it with a pair of Gilmore Raptor switching monoblocks driving my MG-20s full-range. The InnerSound was already more potent than your Musical Fidelity, but the improved control from the Raptors put it to shame.

The primary improvement is in the sense of effortlessness in reproducing acoustic bass instruments. "Palpability" is the best word I can think of to describe the quality. There was no clipping apparent with the lesser amp, but less of a sense of real instruments in real space.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.