Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Follow-up on the Audiosource 7T amp

Thought I'd post some initial impressions of the Audiosource 7T amp that we discussed previously.

I got mine in today. I ran it in for about 2 hours, then did some listening. I'm not wild about it. It's possible that it needs more break-in, so think of this as a short-term review.

For comparison I'm running my 2.7QR's bi-amped, with an Adcom GFA-5200 for the mid-treble, and the internal amplifier of my Cambridge Audio 540R receiver for the bass. I tried it with the Audiosource just for the mid-tweets, and running full-range.

First off, there is a very slight hum in the amplifier, probably something to do with the problem they had getting FCC certification. It's slight, but noticeable. Overall, I think my previous Bel Canto would kick the socks off this amp. It seems very forward and harsh. The voices just don't sound right, they are just too bright and forward. I'm not hearing any improvement in soundstage or imaging, it just doesn't sound light a high-end component to me, not like what I think a Tripath should sound like.

The Adcom amp I have runs VERY hot, and it's much smoother than the GFA-5235 that I also have, so it might be a tough comparison.

It's possible I may just need to let it break in a little more, we'll see.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Follow-up on the Audiosource 7T amp - jjcarr 16:42:01 04/09/07 (9)

You can not post to an archived thread.