Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

New music system room.

After years (actually decades!) of dealing with a combo music / HT system, in the family living room, I finally can move my Maggies into a dedicated, but smaller upstairs room, 11'/6" x 15'/6" x 8'.

So right now I have un-modded MMGs (other than the binding posts and Sound Anchor stands), also both an Aragon 8008BB and 8002 amp at my disposal, and will at first be using just a Squeezebox digital source.

Two questions: First, I have to either come up with a new subwoofer (or two) for the MMGs, or for the existing downstairs Paradigm HT system. Thinking I could try one or two Rythmik servo-sealed subwoofer kits to go nicely with the MMGs.

For the same cost of the subs, I could sell the MMGs, and pick up a used pair of 1.6s. So, for music only, do MG1.6s need a subwoofer? Will the larger Mags do OK in a room this small? This route seems a better way to go.

Second question: With the two amps, I want to try an active x-over/ bi-amp setup. How can I do this with the minimum of cost? Behringer DCX24/96 ($270 at Parts Express) or some DIY recipes?

Thanks, John

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - New music system room. - johnvb 12:19:32 04/08/07 (29)

You can not post to an archived thread.