Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

MMG vs. 1.4

Hello to all, this is my first post on this board.

I have recently updated my 2-channel system and thought I would share my initial impressions with you.

I was using a set of Maggie 1.4s since 1989, powered by NAD components (1130 pre-amp/2200 power amp). The system served me well, but recently I decided it was time for a change.

The first step was to replace the aging NAD components, which I did with a Denon PMA-2000IVR integrated amp. This "ultra high current" amp handles the Magnepans well and sounds cleaner than the old NAD equipment. For the $$ spent, I am very pleased.

This past week, a new set of MMGs arrived so I had a chance to compare them to my 17 year old 1.4s. The 1.4s are a bit more efficient, and create a larger sound stage. Additionally, they give good bass response down to their rated 40hz based on my db measurements using a test CD.

The MMGs are definitely weaker in the low end, rolling off quite sharply below 65hz. No doubt they will improve somewhat in time as they get some use, but they will never match the 1.4s in that regard. However, after some critical listening, I am convinced that the MMGs are presenting a smaller but better defined sound stage. Additonally, I am hearing detail with the MMGs that I did not notice with the 1.4s. I'm not sure if this is due to the age of the 1.4s, the updated design of the MMGs or a combination of both.

In the final analysis, MMG vs 1.4, my preference is for the 1.4. However, the story doesn't end here.

Also new in my system this week is a SVS 20-39 PC+ subwoofer. This is an impressive sub, not only in sheer power, but in its flat response and tight, deep bass with no boom. I am driving this sub with the pre-amp out jacks on the Denon integrated amp.

Used with either the 1.4 or MMG, the SVS sub fills in the bottom extremely well. But it really shines with the MMGs. With the crossover set to 70hz, it makes the little MMGs sound huge - the wonderful clarity and transparency of Magneplanars with clean, deep and tight bass response to die for! If the 1.4s are reasonably close in performance to the newer 1.6s, the MMG/SVS combo is IMO far superior to either for less money.

I have a set of "Maggie Mate" high pass filters on order for the MMGs, and will see if they help this already excellent combo. I have the SVS sub tuned so that it integrates with the MMGs seamlessly with most of the music I listen to.

So far, I am extremely pleased with the new system, and with the Magnepan MMG speaker. It looks like the 1.4s will be going on CraigsList this week.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - MMG vs. 1.4 - MaggieDriver 20:20:09 04/07/07 (12)

You can not post to an archived thread.