Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: George Duke

Perhaps, but on "Muir Woods Suite" he gives Frank his due. Sorry, I just seized an opportunity to plug a hero. The vulgar stuff wore rather thin, some of the humor was anything but musical, and he occasionally went too far off the path with his solos, but I regard the man as one of the true geniuses (not just musically) of the 20th century.

While I’m shamelessly praising the guy, there’s one more point I’d like to make. His material SOUNDS GOOD! I’m not just talking about his later recordings and I’m not just talking about his studio releases. Just listen to a CD like “Roxy and Elsewhere” (a live recording) or “The Grand Wazoo” and you’ll wonder why more material from the early/mid ‘70s doesn’t sound better. I’m not really singling him out – I have other records/CDs from that era that also sound wonderful. But, listen to most of the Yes (for instance) catalog – great music that sounds like shit (please pardon the vernacular). WHY?

"Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny" FZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: George Duke - wazoo 20:05:19 04/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.