Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Too much power?

I recall someone here was using a 1000 W Crown amp to run bass panels on a set of Tympanis.

Maggies can absorb a lot of power indeed, even smaller Maggies like the SMGa. I've witnessed an ARC D250 once going full bore on a pair of

In my own system, I currently use a Classe CA300 (700 W @ 4 Ohm) on T-1D's. The system is in a small room and the amp is adequate for about 99% of the music I listen to. I only hear the amp stress at times when I play the 1812 cannons on the Telarc CD. By then, the peaks are reaching about 103 dB-SPL at the listening position about 12 ft from the speakers. It's still not as loud as real cannons, but loud enough to be reasonally convincing. I can probably use more power since I've never bottomed the Tymps in the 9 years I've had them. My old MG-1(i) used to bottom out often on heavy bass transients when I had them in a larger room driven by the CA300.

SMGa in a large room. The worst that happened was the SMGa would bottom out and flap against the magnets on heavy bass transients.

There are many factors that determine what size amp would be adequate... room size, musical tastes are among them. An inadequately sized amp can clip and destroy a tweeter in no time. So the secret here to long term happiness, is to know youself, as well as your Maggies.

Biamping can also prevent clippping harmonics of the bass amp from damaging delicate tweeters, thus extending the system's overall dynamic range.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.