Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Class AB vs Class H amps

To be fair, I have *never* listened to any of these pro amps. So, my opinion is worth very little (if anything at all). I did, however, audition a class H amplifier back in the late '70s - it was a Soundcraftsmen (have no recollection of the specific model). I liked (PG will love this) the sound of an Adcom GFA-555 *much* better. The speakers used in the comparison were a pair of Acoustat electrostatics (again, don't remember the model - I only remember that they were hybrids).

As I mentioned, I don't know if that has any real relevance to this debate. The technology was new (if memory serves) and that was about 30 years ago. I certainly can’t be too critical; I have an amp that most of you would probably eschew – Acurus A200. I once tried a friend’s Mcintosh amp in my system and found I liked the sound of my Acurus better (so did he, and he was shocked to admit it) – slight etchiness and all. By comparison, the Mac was dull and lifeless.

“To each his own” is probably the order of the day. In any case, I give congratulations to OSUHOG for his recent purchase. No matter what anyone says, a pair of MMGs (especially modded) can be quite sufficient (if not ideal) for a smaller space. Enjoy them. Enjoy your entire system. If it sounds good, it *is* good.

"Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny" FZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.