Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I’m in love with Maggie!

Well, after many years of wondering about these speakers, I finally bought a pair of modded MMG’s from a forum member here and received them last week.

Over the last few years, I have owned Paradigm Monitor, Paradigm Studio, JM Labs, Onix Rockets, & DIY speakers.

I can honestly say that I didn’t truly know what imaging and soundstage was until hearing these Maggies. Vocals are just sensational. It’s like Ben Harper is actually in the room. :) Mapleshade CD’s...Holy freaking cow! Saxophones especially. Wow, wow, wow.

Honestly, I am completely blown away. Not only from the 2 channel stuff, but this is BY FAR the best my HT has ever sounded as long as I’m sitting in the middle seat. Of axis (without a center channel), not so good, but in the sweet spot, awesome.

I was watching Cars with my son last night. I can actually pinpoint stuff on the screen. When Lightning and Sally are talking, both near the center of the screen, they would both be talking from the center channel before. Now, on my 6.5’ screen, I can literally tell that they are a foot or 2 away from the center of the screen, one to the left and one to the right. It’s really an amazing difference.

One thing to note, I can’t believe how power hungry these speakers are! I’m running them with a Behringer EP-2500 through my Harman Kardon AVR-340 as a preamp crossed over at 40hz, with my IB sub taking over from there. 650 watts per channel and I actually saw the clip lights on the amp for a split second one time. That was not at ear bleeding levels by any means. Loud, yes, but not over the top.

Also, thanks to all of you for your suggestions on room configuration and setup. After a lot of moving around, I think I have finally found the best setup, all things considered. I know they’d sound better if they were a little further out than 3’, but this is my main living area, so I have to take that into consideration also. Pics below.

So, now I just have to work my way back through my music collection and see what I was missing all these years. :)

This is 3 pics spliced together from right at my actual seated listening position, so that's why it looks a little funky. :)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - I’m in love with Maggie! - osuhog 08:01:04 04/04/07 (73)

You can not post to an archived thread.