Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Couple of answers

Each subwoofer module measures 20" tall by 15" wide by 9" deep. My idea was to do a box that would be essentially a "bump on the wall", and not stick out into the room much and so would consume relatively little high-traffic real estate. There are four subwoofer modules and one plate amp module (just a smaller box for the plate amp) in the version Mickey Bob reviewed; for the production version I've decided to go with two plate amps and incorporate them into two of the boxes - so the fifth box is eliminated.

The cabinets are ported and in Mickey Bob's version tuned to about 25 Hz. In the production version, I'll tune two of the boxes to 24 Hz and two to 26 Hz. This will trade off a little bit of extension for a little bit better smoothness. I'll still be able to safely claim 25 Hz extension, I think.

Why ported instead of sealed, when sealed boxes have better transient response? Well, briefly, room acoustics dominates and I address that by using four scattered sources. I could do what I wanted for a lot less money than it would have cost with sealed boxes, and still come very close in subjective transient capablity by selecting driver, enclosure, and port dimensions accordingly. I can go into more detail about this if you'd like.

Duke

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.