Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: QUAD ESL63 Meets the SWARM

Thank you, Bob. I very much appreciate your taking the time to listen to my system, and trying the Swarm out with a couple of different main speakers.

The remote option is, alas, remote as a possibility. I'd have to place an order for 500 plate amps to get a remote along with the other features I'd like, and that's a much bigger commitment than I'm up for at this time.

A three-wooferboxr Swarm is actually a harder to do than four wooferboxes. Plate amps are pretty much optimized for a 4-ohm load; they don't like to see lower impedances, and into a higher impedance their output power will be reduced somewhat. How would I wire up three woofers? Unless they're 12-ohm woofers, I'd have to wire them in series. Three 4-ohm woofers in series would present a 12-ohm load, and my 250 watt plate amp would probably put out something like 100 watts into that load. Now if I went with a 500 watt plate amp, that would work well - but now we're greatly increasing the amplifier cost. So in the end a 3-subwoofer system would probably cost the same or more than a four-subwoofer system and wouldn't perform as well. For now at least, I'll probably stick with the four-subwoofer system.

One change will be this: The production version will have two plate amps instead of just one. This is so we'll have stereo subs. While most recordings are mono-summed below 80 Hz, a few are not. Also, in situation where the main speakers don't go down very low, having stereo subs is an advantage.

I'm going to start out with a system price of $1500, which includes four subwoofer modules two of which will have built-in plate amps (each plate amp will drive one of the passive subwooer modules as well).

Duke

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: QUAD ESL63 Meets the SWARM - Duke 17:49:26 04/03/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.