Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: At least a few people agree with me!

That is precisely what I do. Like you, I have a pretty good idea where my sub should be set for the material I'm about to play, but it would still be convenient if I didn't have to reach around the left MMG to get to the sub's level pot. It would also be nice not having to count clicks when I rotate it up or down (I can't really see the dial without getting a flashlight).

My initial point was that the need to make such adjustments is inherent in the recordings, as confirmed with a little headphone listening. Positioning the sub and setting its crossover point correctly is imperative, but this doesn't accomplish a feat of magic. If the bass is way down in the mix (which seems to be a problem with a great deal of older material), I have to increase the gain on my sub to bring it out. Conversely, if I'm listening to material with "proper" bass, then I must dial my sub down (or that'll be all I hear - yuck).

I simply can't see how there could possibly be an acceptable compromise - "the" proper gain setting. This isn't a problem with the room; it's a problem with the source material (and, as I mentioned, this can be confirmed with headphones which cannot be interacting with my room).

"Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny" FZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.