Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: ESL 57 and Berning EA230 experiences?

I would thank drquad for posting the link to the Stereophile review. I concur with it.

I am currently using three EA-230's, driving my front array of five 57's at L/C/R... and All is Well. I would like to have just ONE more EA-230 (for my rear L/R 57s)(when they finish being rebuilt)(I am so dang slooooow), then I wouldn't need to use the modified Dyna MKII I have allocated for use at the center channel location. Then I would be DONE. I have been happy with this rig for years (without the 57s at the rear), and don't plan on changing a thing, except for completing the back bits.

You should very much like the EA-230. I previously had four QUAD Model II valve amps (two matched pairs). They were very nice, but not at all a match for the EA-230s, IMHO. Peter and Ross Walker would love to differ with me on that (if only Mr. Walker, senior, was still with us to argue the point). Ross would be happy to give it a go, I’m sure.

One point not clarified in the Stereophile review is that, with E-stats, since they are driven by more so by voltage rather than by current, the Berning 30 watt rating is not nearly the limitation it would be, say, driving non-ESLs. But, even with dynamics, they sound like far more than 30/per, as was well documented in the review. But thirty watts is perfect, voltage-wise, to make 57s do EVERYTHING they can do, without risk of lightning storms occurring within the 57s mid/tweet panels... it's a perfect match for achieving long, stable and happy QUAD-life... I first tried the EA-230 with 57s back in 1981, as I recall (also with David's TF-10, which was also very good)(not as quiet as the EA-230s, but then it's a preamp)(it was still very, very nice).

The EA-230 is the finest amp I have heard with 57s. It is quiet, stable, very easy on valves, bias doesn't drift, tho it can be tricky to set, as the original bias trimpots were not too great. You can do it, it’ just that it’s a wee bit touchy. Fortunately, it doesn't take a certified rocket scientist to replace them.

By the way, David Berning is surely a certified rocket scientist, fascinating to talk to, and IMHO, not originally from this planet.

HEARTILY RECOMMENDED with a warm, vacuum-valve smile.

Best to all,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: ESL 57 and Berning EA230 experiences? - cinemanaut 17:39:29 04/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.