Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: The undeniable KING of all dipoles

Hello,

The Grands are beautiful speakers!!! I would love to hear them someday. This has been a contentious thread, which is what leads me to this post. It is amazing to me how little appreciation people can have for others and their preferences, especially in this hobby. We are all bound together in this hobby by a common love for audio and music... and we should remember that always. However, not everyone is alike in their preference of how music should be reproduced or how different speakers / equipment sound. Florian seems to appreciate the kind of dynamic response... the "chest thumping" dynamics that can only be reproduced with typical cone woofers. Brian and E-stat appreciate the coherency and seamlessness that can only truly be reproduced with a single planar driver / membrane. That doesn't make either of them right or wrong, just different in their tastes. Real musical instruments are extremely dynamic. A large drum from 10 feet away at a live event will give you the concussive "chest thump" that is produced with a cone driver. This is something that planars do NOT do, even in large arrays with huge surface area. Trust me, I've heard the largest array of planar speakers used at one time in the past 50 years. But adding a typical cone driver to a planar does and ALWAYS will create a non-linearity due to differing radiation patterns between the tweeter and woofer thus not producing a truly seemless sound. Like E-Stat stated, it is a trade off based on personal preference.

I would love to hear the Grands someday... and not just for comparisons sake. I have come to appreciate all the different types of planar and hybrid designs that are available (much like Brian and E-stat).

Thanks for indulging me in playing the "peacemaker".

I do feel inclined to make a statement concerning the SoundLAB ProStats. It is a shame that the market value of used SoundLAB equipment is not higher than it is. The reason for this is due to several factors, none of which I will discuss in this forum.

In my personal quest... and again this is only my personal preference... I have found the summit to my journey in SoundLAB. I currently own a pair of U1s and a pair of ProStats. I did own 10 pair of ProStats, which were all set up collectively for a 4 hour demonstration in a large conference hall. It was the most amazing sound I've ever heard. As you might imagine, it literally recreated a live orchestra and choir in front of us.

Best Wishes To All!

Deven

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: The undeniable KING of all dipoles - superguru 09:59:39 03/29/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.